Friday, May 28, 2010

Students + Money = Tough Times.

This is probably a topic I would love a lecture about, actually make that a unit. (There really should be units providing guides on "How to Survive at Uni") I'm probably the last person in the world who should be giving financial advice. For example, Currently I just received a very small pay check for last weeks work, I have been given no work shifts this week, and I will not be paid for next weeks work until the week after. So it is safe to say that by then my funds would have well and truly dried up. Do I do anything differently? No. Today, as usual, I went to the ANZ ATM and took out $20 for lunch. I won't spend that $20 solely on food, but it's no longer in the bank... it's in my wallet. The last place money wants to be is in my wallet, because it won't stay there long.
For the benefit of you ,and myself, I've knocked up a list of the things we could do during our daily routine at University to save a bit of cash. (Also, my mums a financial advisor so I may of received a little help...)

  • Pack lunch - I cannot stress to you enough how much money you will save by bringing lunch. I usually pack my lunch for the first half of the semester and succumb to buying lunch in the second half. Do not give into temptation!
  • Use a pencil case - Pencil Case's ensure that our pens and pencils have a home. When we are finished with our pens and pencils, they return to their home. If they don't go home, they are lost... forever. Think now of all the pens you've 'misplaced' in the past year. Yeah, and how many have you bought? That's what I thought. We're more likely to lose a pen than use it until it runs out of ink. Therefore, buying a pencil case is good for the economy. (Well, you're economy at least).
  • Use Public Transport - It's good for your wallet and the environment! Plus, Murdoch is so close to the train station it's not funny. Seriously. On that note, if you don't have a smartrider - get one! We're entitled to student fees and sometimes I even score a free day! I have no idea how it works, I just know its worth it.
  • Don't carry lose change - Keep it in a piggy bank. It's way too easy to walk past the vending machine and buy that block of handsome looking chocolate... so delicately wrapped by cadbury... just begging to be eaten... No!
  • Get a job - You may hate the idea, and it's a little bit of extra stress on top of study, but its well worth eliminating the stress that will come with being broke.
  • If you live out of home, shop wisely - This one's from mum. She recommends buying the specials and all those '2 for 1' deals. She also thinks you should 'make a budget and stick to it' - like that will ever happen, but you can at least try =]

While I was writing this my friend just came back from the printer in the library. "Jess! Someones fallen asleep". I asked her to take a photo for my blog - she said that would be weird. I agree. But as you can see, the semester has definitely taken its toll.

On that note, I best get back to study! Good luck with exams!

5 comments:

  1. *may HAVE
    *pencil CASES (no apostrophe)
    * "Seriously." is not a sentence.
    Regards,
    Graduate of Murdoch wondering what the world was coming to when someone gave someone with your atrocious English skills a blog...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Anonymous,

    Thanks for checking out my blog and taking the time to comment. I really appreciate the insights.

    Thanks,
    Jess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was also wondering what the world was coming to after I saw that a Graduate of Murdoch was spending their time spell-checking blogs of fellow students and then leaving them with spiteful comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The train station is so close to Murdoch... hahaha :)

    But seriously, it's not funny.

    ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ouch! Those are some harsh comments! I understand your plight as a starving student, and I also understand your English just fine.
    Seriously, no need to be a grammar Nazi...it's a BLOG not a term paper

    http://www.pennystockresearch.com

    ReplyDelete