Friday, June 11, 2010

Murdoch now offering Mid year enrolments!

In the spirit of Murdoch offering mid year enrolments I've been asked to write about the topics that some people find daunting about university. A couple of weeks ago I wrote about student budgets and how tough they can be. I can't believe its been that long since I last wrote a blog! Lets just say that things have been pretty hectic lately. So I think now is a good time to describe how time consuming a University degree can be.
I have always had a job while I've been at uni, except for a couple of months last year. The strange thing about this was that I received better grades in the first semester while I was working, than I did in the second semester when I wasn't. I think I became so used to juggling two commitments at once, that when one went I away I became a little lost. This past semester has been my busiest in 2 and a half years. I was studying two units on campus, one off campus as a work placement unit (intern-ship at Sunset Events), a casual job at Michael Hill, managing this blog, and starting a website for the youth of Mandurah. Even I'm a little amazed at how I juggled these things.

Attending university can be a bit of a time-eater, but it should't mean you need to miss out on a social life or work. As I mentioned in my last blog having a job will help you to cover the costs of your daily life on campus (There's nothing worse than craving caffeine and being broke!). It probably isn't ideal to work full time and study full time, if you do this please leave me a comment telling me how the heck you manage that. (Seriously!) My best friend works part-time and studies full time. She seems to handle these two well. I have a casual job, so some weeks I only work 2 days. I think its the ideal set up as I can attend uni on campus, work a couple of days, and still have a day for study. Some weeks I don't always want to spend my day off studying so instead of hanging out with friends in between classes I'll go to the library and catch up on readings.

At Murdoch you can study full time, part time or externally. If you have a bunch of commitments that prevent you from studying on campus then external studies is a fantastic option. For more information on flexible learning options check out the Murdoch website here: http://www.murdoch.edu.au/Future-students/Domestic-students/Deciding-what-to-study/Flexible-learning-options/

A university degree will always be daunting at first, and I must admit there are times during the semester when I get a little freaked out. But the experience is worth it. On campus life is so rewarding as is meeting like minded people studying the same thing as you. So if you can, give studying on campus a go!

Jess.

No comments:

Post a Comment