Tuesday, June 29, 2010

High School Vs. University Part 3.

The last thing I want to talk about on this topic is the University lifestyle. It is probably the greatest difference between high school and university that you will discover. If you're heading to university straight out of high school then you're probably turning 18 that year, which brings you even more freedom than what you had back in school. I didn't turn 18 until November of my first year, which was a little annoying, but the only thing I was restricted from was the tavern.

Ahh the tavern... it is the single most greatest thing about your new university experience. The ability to drink at school. It is the ultimate hangout between classes, way better than the school cafeteria. Then again, speaking of cafeterias Murdoch's is pretty darn awesome. Back at school I didn't get to choose between Chinese, kebabs, muffins, or chips and gravy every day. There's also several shops on campus that are sure to please. I'm a bit of a stationery fiend so I got a little over excited when I discovered the book shop on campus stocks an awesome variety of stationery. There's also a second hand book store which stocks packets of lollies and a ton of other every day needs. You'll even find a travel agency on campus, yeah not weird at all actually it makes a lot of sense. A lot of students choose to travel between semesters, and at Murdoch they have the luxury of planning their escape during study time.

There's also the many different people you will meet. They will come from different countries, different backgrounds, different suburbs (I live in Mandurah and having friends from Perth is a big deal), and different age groups. Never underestimate mature age students, you will learn a lot from them. Meeting international students is also a ton of fun. You'll learn about their cultures and what they're countries are like, you might even make a friend for life!

So to wrap things up, yes university is completely different to high school. But you shouldn't be scared, the best thing to do is embrace the change! I have enjoyed my last 2 years at university more than I enjoyed my 2 years of senior high school. It's an awesome experience that keeps on giving.

Jess.

4 comments:

  1. So true, my university years were certainly some of the best I've had so far, and it's largely down to the people you meet from different walks of life.

    Now I'm heading off to teach overseas! Very excited. It should be another great experience and a chance to meet loads more new and interesting people.

    These guys have a cool ebook specifically for grads for anyone who's keen - it helped me lots.

    http://www.teach-overseas.com.au/tesol-resources/graduate-opportunities

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly. High schools have more rules that we need to follow. In the University, your life is your responsibility. You get to hang out with older or younger people and also, this is the time of my life where I learned more about life as an adult.

    http://www.perthblindscurtains.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactly. High schools have more rules that we need to follow. In the University, your life is your responsibility. You get to hang out with older or younger people and also, this is the time of my life where I learned more about life as an adult.

    http://www.perthblindscurtains.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  4. Couldn't have put it better myself. I find in your first year, tuts and lecturers will still nurse you along. But by the time third year comes around your expected to take responsibility of your own learning.

    Have fun overseas 'i-to-i'! Sounds like a fantastic experience you've got lined up there :)

    ReplyDelete