Sunday, May 2, 2010

It twas the field of creams.

Dear oh dear... what a day. Today I mingled with some of the worlds best DJ's, watched the derby live, walked at least a total of 10kms, and still made it home in time for the Logies.

Today I worked backstage at Creamfields as apart of my internship. It was a truly rewarding experience. I helped man the Artist Registration desk, which is where all artists pass through when they arrive on the site. I didn't really know what to expect of the artists on the line-up as I've only really heard of Bloody Beetroots, MSTRKRFT and LMFAO. Well... without going into details let me just put it out there that all artists at Creamfields this year were exponentially awesome! And I'm going to leave it at that. Except for one more thing - "I'm in Miami Bitch" live, went off!

Sitting at the artist desk things can get a little slow when there aren't too many artists arriving. This lead us to seek out other things to do such as listen to In the Pines, read the West Australian 10 billion times, and watch the AFL live on the computer. How did we watch it live on the computer? Well... the AFL have set-up this awesome application on their webpage that mimics the game online. It shows a field with dots and lines representing players and the game play. I don't mean to plug AFL here, but seriously... this is one pretty awesome widget.

I want to include in this post a little word of advice to current Murdoch students; check your email account. Today I checked mine for the first time this semester and I had over 30 e-mails about things such as exam timetables, guild elections, and LMS downtimes. It would have been handy to know these things when they were relevant. I also discovered an e-mail explaining the new Murdoch Encounters campaign in great depth. This is something I've been pondering over for a while. Turns out the fun things outside the library are a part of Murdoch's new branding campaign. I kind of guessed this after seeing a couple of TV ads about Murdoch encounters last week. If you're still a little confused about the whole thing check out the Murdoch site here to grab some more info: http://brand2010.murdoch.edu.au/?cid=bc_sa0001. On this note I would like to say that I feel like Murdoch is everywhere. You can't go anywhere these days as a Murdoch student without seeing Murdoch branded somewhere - I'm mostly referring to music festivals here. The thing is, isn't a little weird to have you're University as a part of both your social life (off campus) and your working life? Just a thought, I'll let you ponder that further.

I hope all is well with everyone. Only 3 weeks left till the end of semester! It's gone so fast. Let's hope next semester goes as fast as this ;)

Jess.

2 comments:

  1. How did you score the internship with Creamfields?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, it was through Sunset Events. I won an internship through a competition held by Murdoch University =]

    If your interested in that type of thing you can always apply to work at a festival with Sunset's. Check out their site for more info: http://www.sunsetevents.com.au/Work/default.aspx

    Jess.

    ReplyDelete