Sunday, April 25, 2010

Winter, is that you?

The biting cold has reached us. It's to cold too leave the house at night without a jacket, and too cold to want to leave the comfort of our sheets in the morning. This has only been going on for a couple of weeks and already I'm resulting to comfort food and movies to get me through.

This morning I arose pretty early for a Sunday when I wasn't working, so I decided to chill out in the lounge and watch some Sunday morning television. I can always recall Sunday morning being the worst time for television. It's worse then daytime TV, at least then we have The View and Dr. Phil. But this morning I was quite surprised. Due to today being ANZAC Day (Lest We Forget) there was a special show on ABC showing ANZAC parade's over the years. I started watching from 1995 until it stopped at 2006. It was like watching my life go by. When the 2001 march came on, I thought wow that was only yesterday. I had to stop and remind myself that that was 9 years ago. When 2005 came on, I just shook my head. I'm still finding it hard to comprehend that I'm turning 20 this year.

Next I stumbled upon Channel 10, and much to my amusement Video Hits were screening interviews with the Glee cast! I am a self proclaimed Gleek and I'm terribly upset that the show is coming back at 8pm Thursday nights, which is the one work shift I am guaranteed every week. Aside from a Glee preview there were a few bands on Video Hits that I was a little surprised to see. Firstly there was Dizzee Rascal and Florence & the Machine. Maybe not so surprising seeing as Dizzee has had a couple of mainstream hits, and then again so has Florence. It's strange that a year ago I was obsessed with "The Dog Days are Over" and couldn't get any of my friends to like it quite as much. Maybe now they will finally listen. Then Marina and The Diamonds came on. I haven't even heard her on the radio yet?! Thanks to Perez Hilton I was introduced to Marina, and I think she may have had a single of the week on itunes at one stage. Nevertheless, the last time this happened was with Katy Perry, and I would have thought her to be considerably more mainstream than Marina & the Diamonds, but whatever Video Hits. Lastly, We Are Scientists made an appearance. I was over being surprised at this stage, but honestly their still more Nova material then they are Top 40. I can't really complain about "Mainstream" music though seeing as one of my favourite bands is Powderfinger. And as long as Bernard Fanning doesn't join a political party any time soon, I will still respect them as a band.

So as today is ANZAC Day, we have tomorrow off uni. I'm quite pleased about this. It means I have more time to work on unfinished (and not started) assignments due in the coming weeks. And seeing as I spent a good day shopping last Thursday, I really have no excuse for not staying home. But as any true procrastinator would, I will find a distraction. Right now I'm properly discovering Grizzly Bear, aside from the odd track. I'm a little late on this and expect a rightful bashing. But nevertheless, they are pretty awesome. I've also got a group assignment which needs attending to. I've made a start on this, if not almost completed already but I hate giving a group work that isn't really upto standard. It's okay for me to create a rough draft and finish the good copy 2 hours before its due, but when it comes to group assignments I feel I need to step my game up a bit. Group assignments are also about matching your groups work standards. And I've got a pretty good group this semester, meaning they're hard working, smart, and fun to be around. So I would hate to disappoint them with my work at this stage which would only warrant a Pass grade, and we're aiming for a Distinction.

With that said, I best get back to the group work. I wouldn't want an e-mail on Tuesday saying "you've had a long weekend to work on it, where's your contribution?". Even though their pretty cool and this won't happen, I still know they'd be thinking it ;).

Jess.

P.S Goooooooo Freo!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jess,

    Before I begin, I think is an awesome blog! =)
    This might seem a little weird but i actually stumbled upon your blog while looking through Murdoch's site. I'm from Malaysia and Im actually looking for a good uni to further my studies but its like choosing rainbows and ice creams.. I don't know which to choose from! Do hope you could help me out here! My email add is bigdogboo13@hotmail.com .

    Hope to hear from you soon,
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Steph!

    I know how hard it is to pick a university, they all seem to look the same in the end! From what I know, Murdoch is known for it's international students. I can't go through one semester without meeting someone from Singapore, America, Europe, or Malaysia! So its a very multi-cultural place to roam.

    The best person to talk to you would be Holly from the International Office, she will have all the information you need :]
    Here are her details:
    H.Croft@murdoch.edu.au
    +61 89 360 6428

    Jess :)

    ReplyDelete