Friday, April 9, 2010

All good things come to an end...

Today I was all jolly and excited to get my homework finished before the end of study break, that way I can say I actually did something. But now I don't know how I'm going to be able to concentrate, thanks to this story.

Last night I became aware that Powderfinger would be holding a press conference today to announce some 'exciting' news. Now I know bands don't just hold a press conference to announce a national tour, and I also know that Powderfinger's latest album was one of their greatest. Therefore, it would have been safe to assume that the band were announcing the end of their career as a musical group, I just didn't want it to be true. But alas! This morning it was indeed announced that Powderfinger were disbanding as a touring and recording band. How am I expected to write press releases and speeches with the knowledge that I will only see Powderfinger in concert one more time? I just hope this is a John Farnham-Crowded House type "farewell" tour. Only time will tell...



While I'm here procrastinating I might as well mention some exciting news to do with those blocks outside the library. Last night a friend of mine pointed out that "Murdoch encounters" now has a web page. You can visit it here: http://www.murdochencounters.com.au/#/Home. Now this site is both very good and very bad. We'll get the bad part out of the way first... it is very addictive! Don't say you haven't been warned. Addictiveness is a very bad thing when you're a uni student and need to have assignments done. That being said... it is totally awesome! You can add you own encounters, for example V energy + Essay = Essay gets a slap in the face. Or you can combine encounters others have added. Plus it's quite a good looking site with plenty of pictures and colour - enough to tear you away from that boring Microsoft office screen. I also like that when I vote for an encounter a message pops up reading "Thanks for voting for this encounter - it likes you too!"


I realise I never actually got around to writing a review for the West Coast Blues and Roots festival. That's mainly due to the fact that I was hardly on the grounds and saw only a few bands (Edwarde Sharpe + The Magnetic Zero's = totally amazing - see what I did there?) So instead of providing a skewed perspective of my day I'm going to refer you to a fellow Murdoch student who actually saw the good, the bad, and the ugly. Check it out here: http://hyperbolemachine.com/2010/04/01/sunset-events-you-fail-again/.

Also! Before I go you must, must MUST! Go to this webpage: http://softish.nu/eelslap/. It gives a new definition to "fish slap" (and no I don't mean that, get your minds out of the gutters!).

Jess.

No comments:

Post a Comment