Saturday, May 15, 2010

One Week To Go...

It is true that the end of semester is very hectic. I am suffering bitter disappointment this week at the fact that I must hand in an assignment 2 days before its due date. It's not just a little assignment either - it's the biggest assignment of the semester. Stupidly, however, I have devoted my time to a group assignment - which I deemed to be more important.

The group assignment is due tomorrow, and I'm pretty much ready to roll with that. Then on Tuesday I have a test for a unit I have attended about 5/13 lectures for. I do have a good excuse though, my lecturer just sums up the weeks readings in the lectures. It seems a little pointless to go if I'm not learning anything new. But I do have to study for Tuesdays' test, because I've gotten a bit behind on my readings. Terrible, terrible time management on my behalf. Then it will be Wednesday. I have already anticipated a break down for that day. I'm working a 13 hour shift on Thursday, which means I will leave home at 7:45 and won't get home until 9:30 - if I'm lucky. So I will be knackered by Thursday night and the last thing I want to do is finish an assignment. Then it's off to Sunset Events on Friday for my final day as an Intern, and after that I'm off to the Murdoch end of semester party at the Tav. I've never been to one of these before so I'm quite looking forward to it. But nevertheless this means I need to hand in my assignment on Wednesday night which includes a 2000 word report and at least three written tactics for a media kit(i.e a media release or feature story). I hope all of you are a bit further ahead in your work then me - I just never learn.

In other news, however, Murdoch had a 'No Cars on Campus Day'. What an awesome idea! I wasn't affected at all unfortunately as I don't attend uni on Thursdays and even if I did it would be on public transport anyway. Apparently it actually worked, though, and people left their cars at home. There was a little stall outside the library all week letting students know how they can travel to uni without their car. It would be interesting to see if anyone leaves their car at home in the future and follows their new public transport regime on a daily basis.

In other news, I went to Groovin' the Moo yesterday. But I didn't just go to Groovin' the Moo, I worked at Groovin' the Moo. Not only did I work there, but I worked on the artist desk... with a triple A pass. Yeah... it was pretty cool. Unfortunately, all the artists were really cool so there was no divatude to combat. Which meant my day was pretty boring, and cold. So I ended up going for a wonder around the festival grounds and meeting up with a few friends. We had a little boogy to Grinspoon and Empire of the Sun, before Vampire Weekend came on. I didn't take many photos yesterday but I took a few of Vampire Weekend. There a few highlights yesterday that will leave me fairly happy for a while (despite my disappointment at missing Vampire Weekend at Metro City tonight, Gah!). Here's a list of what made my day and what access to the backstage area is really like:

  • Exchanging a simple 'Hi' with Lisa Mitchell's drummer. He is by far my favourite drummer - he just dresses so well all the time...
  • Empire of the Sun. If you didn't see their set - you missed out big time! Luke Steele is one musical genius and he sure knows how to impress. By the way - those dancers? Freaking awesome!
  • Watching the first three songs of Vampire Weekends set from the photo pit. It was a little awkward with the crowd right behind us... but totally awesome!! We then went to the back of the crowd and danced the night away to the rest of their set. Dancing to A-punk live was absolutely amazing!
  • Almost walking into Daniel Johns while looking for my friend - I was about 30cms away from looking like the biggest douche ever. He's about a foot or two taller than me so I doubt he would have noticed... but still... it would have been awkward.
  • Having Ezra walk past and actually look at me instead of ignoring us - I can now die happy after a single eye exchange.
  • The after party. I walk in and the first thing I see is Daniel Johns tearing up the dance floor. Free drinks for all and bumping elbows with a bunch of amazing musicians. By far the best party I've been to in a while.
  • One last thing - surviving the ride home. Driving alone down a country highway that has beware of Kangaroo signs every kilometre, just a bit nerve racking. But I made it, without falling asleep at the wheel.
Let's hope this final week goes according to plan and I don't fail anything. *fingers crossed*

Good luck everyone!
Jess.

No comments:

Post a Comment