Saturday, November 28, 2009

I am a practical thinker.





The Murdoch free thinkers quiz is designed to help prospective students decide what they want to study. So as a second year student taking the test I was a little worried. The result may be completely different to my choice of study; it may even make me rethink my original study choice. There are four possible results you can end up with; practical, compassionate, visionary or creative. When you have completed the test a percentage is given per possible result. This is what my result looked like:

Practical - 38%
Compassionate - 28%
Visionary - 25%
Creative - 9%

I was happy with the above results, apart from the fact that practical people can be a little boring... and considering I'm only 9% creative that's a little worrying. I'm glad I'm a little bit compassionate as well. It may not dominate my life but putting others first is a natural part of how I think. I think it's also pretty funny that only 13% separates my dreamer side from my practical side. So maybe I'm well balanced? Either way I'm happy with these results and I feel like I'm on the right track with my studies.

After you've received your results Murdoch will suggest courses which coincide with your personality traits. For my results Murdoch listed:
Organising or Clerical
Helping or Advising
Practical or Mechanical
Before I discuss why my course fits into these categories and how Murdoch has summed me up perfectly I want to talk a little bit about what the word practical means to me.

One of the reasons I love studying at Murdoch is because our courses are quite hands on. I'm not one of those people that can read a book and then learn something. I don't learn through theory, I need to be shown things. I remember when I was first learning how to drive and my mum was trying to teach me the basics to driving a car. She would say don't do this, don't do that, and all I would say is "Why not?" and she would just reply with "I don't know, just because!" It wasn't until my dad showed me the mechanics of the car and how it worked that I actually grasped the concept of driving. These situations tend to happen to me a lot. I can't just be told what to do, I need to know why. There has to be a reason otherwise why would I do it? My results at uni prove that I am indeed a practical thinker. I tend to excel in courses where I can show what I can do rather than just write about it.

This is one of the reasons why I'm studying media. In media I get to experience the world from a practical perspective as opposed to learning about everything through theory. There is a balance between theory and practice, and I really love that. I also believe that my bachelor of media can be classified as an organisational and clerical course.

At first glance it doesn't seem like a course that will teach you organisation, but it has definitely taught me how to be organised. If the unit is practical, then deadlines become more important. There are no extension dates on practical work; it needs to be done on time. So in terms of being organised, I have definitely learnt how to manage my time. I also chose this course because I want to be an events coordinator, which I would say is a very organisational and clerical career. You need to be organised when organising events otherwise things get out of control. I'm also a little bit obsessed with stationery and have dreamed of having an office job. I wouldn't want to be stuck in an office all day, but to have my own office and a home for all my stationery would make me a very happy person.



P.S
Seeing as this is the last blog assignment and that we are indeed in a competition I would like to wish everyone the best of luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment