Saturday, September 19, 2009

My portrait with a difference.



Okay, so I guess it’s time to stop procrastinating and get to assignment number 1. For some reason I felt a little under pressure, despite the fact that this is kind of fun. The reason I decided to start a blog was so that I could write about things that I wanted to write about, other than what was prescribed by unit coordinators. So I’m not too sure why I was dreading attempting this first task so much. Maybe it’s because I’m not a very good drawer... or my imagination at times is a little dull. So to take the pressure of a little I decided not to be ultra creative and just express things that I like through an image. I hope it worked, but looking at it right now... it does look a little distorted... I kind of look like Lady Gaga from her paparazzi video. (Figure 1) I guess I have some explaining to do then, which is a good thing, because that’s the point of the blog... .... *awkward silence*... anyway, we’ll start from top to bottom shall we?

< Figure 1

My hair is plainly and simple my four favourite colours. Ever since I was young I’ve had a pink room. It has since been painted to represent an older me... but it is still pink (well one wall is, the other three are white). Green is the colour of my carpet. It was also the first colour I started to like while I was in primary school growing away from pink. When I was 10, however, my brother rented the hulk movie from the video store. I didn’t like the hulks colour and I found him a little frightening. I was then traumatised by the colour of the hulk and went off green for several years. It wasn’t until I reached year 11 that I rediscovered how awesome green really is. As for purple and blue, well... aren’t they just generically great colours? I’m sure blue tops the most favourite colour in the world list and purple is a favourite for those that don’t want to admit that they like pink.

My skin is a collage of my favourite bands. These include; Arctic Monkeys, Bloc Party, Coldplay, Death Cab for Cutie, Franz Ferdinand, Kate Miller-Heidke, Kings of Leon, Muse, Powderfinger, The Killers, The Kooks, The Strokes and The Do. There’s a ton more but I won’t bore with my musical tastes. The variety of music doesn’t only show my love of music but the career I want to enter I guess. The reason I went to uni was to learn about events management. I wrote a letter to the Murdoch uni explaining what I wanted to do, and they placed me in the Bachelor for Media course. So my skin represents the direction I’m heading with my life, as opposed to the things I enjoy.

My eyes are vinyl records. This is where my hobby for music comes into the picture.
I play the guitar and keyboard pretty much every day; it’s a really good way to forget about uni for a little bit. When I was in high school I was in the local schools band playing the trumpet. My trumpet days have long gone, however, I haven’t practiced in several years ha-ha. It was fun while it lasted though. And just like everybody else, I love music. I will tell you it’s my life, because it basically is. No matter degree I end up with I want to work in the music industry, so we’ll see how I go =] I tried to find a movie reel for my other eye, but Google just gave me some really odd choices. So I’ll just explain that I like movies, much easier. I think movies are generally a part of people’s lives, whether you like documentaries, comedies, action or romance. I personally have a soft spot for romantic comedies especially the English ones like Bridget Jones, love actually and the boat that rocked. I’m also a major fan of comedy and will watch anything as long as I’m told it’s funny. I will watch a horror (which I hate) if it’s funny. Like House of Wax, Paris Hilton trying to act was hilarious let alone her death scene.

I just skipped my eyebrows... ha-ha here we go then. My eyebrows are pens and represent two things. The first is my love for stationary. The pens are from Kikki.K who is my favourite stationary designer. The second thing is my love for writing. I try to write as much as possible whether it’s a song, review, twitter update or blog entry. It keeps me going and gives a place to express myself outside the guidelines of university assignments. I also write for fasterlouder.com which has kind of taken a backseat while I’m at uni. Hopefully I’ll get back into my reviews when the holidays hit (6 more weeks! For the lucky ones without exams anyway... which would include me, yesssss!).

My nose shows my love for sport. It's a netball hoop. I’ve played netball since I was 8 years old, and although I had a couple of years off after high school I picked it up this year. That was until fractured my finger and couldn’t play for the rest of the season. It was actually a good thing though because I couldn’t afford to pay my fees and not long after I injured myself they asked us to front up. I would also like to stress that it was a pretty serious injury. Yes I agree, it’s just a finger BUT I had to go to hospital every second week for 6 weeks until the bone had reattached itself. And when you live in Mandurah and have to go to Fremantle hospital it’s a big deal. I even had to wear a splint like the one they give kids when they break their wrists. Mine was hot pink =] It also had Velcro... and was very cool. Sometimes I wish I could wear it as a fashion statement with a pink dress, teamed with a pair of pink heels and bracelets.

Hmm... I kind of went off track there, but it does lead nicely into what has replaced my mouth. That there is a coat hanger, which I have coloured in pink to represent my lips. (Microsoft is telling me that that is a grammatically incorrect sentence, I think it sounds good though so I refuse to listen) The coat hanger represents my love for fashion. When I was on the pay roll I would buy at least one new piece of clothing each pay week. Even with my small pay package I could afford to buy something small, even if it was an accessory. Nowadays, I’m waiting for my work to reopen and I’m broke. I received a bank statement the other which showed that the last time I had money in the bank was April. So to fill the void of non-existent new clothes I read fashion blogs and magazines, which is much more fulfilling than just buying things actually, because it’s free!

So there we have it 1,200 words about me. Wow, that was incredibly painless. If this were an essay for a unit it would have taken several days to construct. Amazing...

Well thanks for your time, I hope you like the picture and it’s clearer now that I explained it =]

Jessiqwa
xoxo

P.S. The xoxo is because I watch too much gossip girl, k thanks.

4 comments: