Thursday, August 19, 2010

Is it week 14 yet?

Hasn't week 3 come around fast? I've been meaning to write a couple of blogs since first week, it's not like I haven't had much to talk about, I just didn't notice time flying by.

The last couple of weeks have been pretty hectic. I missed the first week because I had tonsillitis, turns out I had actually had it for 6 weeks, so I should have been on bed rest before semester started again. Missing the first week of semester isn't really a huge deal in terms of study load, but I did notice some drastic changes in the second week. Firstly, I didn't have a unit guide for any of my units. My friend manage to save me 1 guide, but that didn't help me with the other 2. So now I'm left with two options, a) read about the week's requirements online, or, b) print out a unit guide. Seeing as my printer is out of ink, I've been going with option a and it hasn't been that bad. Secondly, all my unit readers and prescribed readings were sold out, bar one book which I bought. This is pretty lucky, because I couldn't afford to buy more than one anyway, but it's been a real struggle keeping up to date with my readings. Usually I'll read a book on the train on my way to uni, now I need to sit at a computer. I shouldn't really complain, it's not like I can't access the readings at all, but the other day I read 29 pages on Global Media Industries in an hour because the book belonged to the restricted section. I've never felt so accomplished, and I was so prepared for class this week. So maybe not having the book is a bit of a blessing.

One thing I'm noticing about the end of third year though, is that tutors and lecturers expect a lot more from you, and why shouldn't they? For instance, I have a 2000 word essay due in just over a week. I have had 2 lectures and 1 class on the subject and I'm expected to do the rest of the research myself. Usually classes will help you out a little more by giving you a but more notice or loading you up with tips. I'm not too shocked that I'm expected to be independent, I'm just surprised. This is the first semester I've been told that I should know these things by now, that I've enough practice writing essays and that I should just be able to write one without notice. I suppose this is the kind of thing that will happen when I finally leave University and get a real job, so I'm glad it's happening.

So that's enough of an update for now! I hope I'm not scaring any high schoolers away from university, it takes 3 years for it to finally get hard and even then it's pretty bearable. I hope your all heading to open day on Sunday! It should be a whole lotta fun, and there are some awesome local bands playing. Hope to see you all there!

Jess.

No comments:

Post a Comment